Cub Scout Bobcat Rank
These requirements appear in the 2001 edition of the Tiger Cub Handbook(34713), and the 2003 editions of the Wolf Handbook (33450), the Bear Handbook (33451), and the Webelos Handbook (33452). The only substantial change from the 1998 version is the addition of the “Honesty Character Connection” in the first requirement.
The wording of requirement 8 in the Tiger Cub Handbook and the wording of requirements 4 and 8 in the Webelos Handbook are slightly different from those in the Wolf and Bear Handbooks, but effectively all the versions require the same thing. The alternate wordings are shown in square brackets [ ] below. However, what is required is the same in all cases.
Effective June 1, 2006, Boys must earn the Bobcat Badge before they begin working on the Tiger Cub rank.
The first rank that EVERY boy MUST earn when entering the Cub Scouting Program is the Bobcat rank.
To earn the Bobcat rank the new Cub Scout must do the following:
- Learn and say the CUB SCOUT PROMISE and complete the Honesty Character Connection.
- Know: Discuss these questions with your family. What is a promise? What does it mean to “keep your word?” What does honesty mean? What does it mean to “do your best?”
- Commit: Discuss these questions with your family. Why is a promise important? Why is it important for people to trust you when you give your word? When might it be difficult to keep your word? List examples.
- Practice: Discuss with family members why it is important to be trustworthy and honest and how can you do your best to be honest when you are doing the activities in Cub Scouting.
“I …..(name)…. promise to do my best
To do my duty to God and my country,
To help other people, and
To obey the Law of the Pack. “
- Say the LAW OF THE PACK. Tell what it means.
“The Cub Scout follows Akela.
The Cub Scout helps the pack go.
The pack helps the Cub Scout Grow.
The Cub Scout gives goodwill.”
- Tell what WEBELOS means
“WE‘ll BE LOyal Scouts “
- Show the CUB SCOUT SIGN. Tell what it means.
[Webelos: Make the CUB SCOUT SIGN. Tell what it means.]
- Show the CUB SCOUT HANDSHAKE. Tell what it means.
- Say the CUB SCOUT MOTTO. A motto is a guiding principle.
“Do Your Best”
- Give the CUB SCOUT SALUTE. Tell what it means.
- With your parent or guardian, complete the exercises in the booklet,
How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse.
[Tiger Cub: With your adult partner, complete “A Bobcat Requirement” in front of the Contents pages of this handbook.]
[Webelos: With your parent or guardian, complete the Bobcat Requirements section of “How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse: A Parent’s Guide”). (The guide is a pull-out section that came in the front of this book.)]
The above items are the basic information that ALL Cub Scouts must learn, which is why EVERY boy who enters into Cub Scouting MUST earn the Bobcat Badge.